Also known as Brindleberry and Malabar Tamarind, Garcinia Cambogia which is popular in Dischem stores across South Africa, is a small, pale green fruit, resembling a miniature pumpkin, which turns yellow when ripe.
This fruit originates from Indonesia, having been used in the cooking of curries for many years and, according to the locals, has digestion activating properties.
Studies have shown that extract taken from the skin of the Garcinia Cambogia fruit is useful to dieters in at least three ways:
- It slows down the conversion of carbohydrates into fat
- It suppresses the appetite, preventing cravings
- It increases levels of serotonin, which enhances mood
How exactly does Garcinia Cambogia work as a weight loss aid?
The primary ingredient found in the skin of Garcinia is Hydroxycitric Acid or HCA, which prevents the formation of fat in the body, by blocking the enzymes which convert unused glucose into fat, also resulting in an increase in metabolism.
HCA naturally increases the level of serotonin in the brain, which enhances mood and boosts energy, putting a stop to binge eating by suppressing the appetite.
Whilst the scientific evidence is by no means conclusive, a growing number of human clinical trials seem to demonstrate that an appropriate dosage of Garcinia Cambogia can have a statistically significant effect upon weight loss (see for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530711).
Our clear winner – Garcinia Cambogia Extra
This particular brand, Garcinia Cambogia Extra, is certainly a market leader in both the USA and UK. It meets all of our requirements listed in our full buying guide listed further down.
The company’s money-back guarantee appears to be comprehensive and the prices offered by the website are very competitive. Most importantly, the dosage of garcinia extract per capsule is 1000mg and the level of HCA an impressive 60%.
For dieters who can’t decide whether they prefer to try Garcinia Cambogia or raspberry ketone, Garcinia Cambogia Extra allows you to try both simultaneously: the product includes 200mg raspberry ketone, which is claimed to boost the metabolism as well as aiding fat reduction.
Since raspberry ketone is one of the most costly diet supplement ingredients, its inclusion in Garcinia Cambogia Extra at these prices, is quite remarkable.
Also worth consideration – Garcinia Pure
There are no gimmicks attached to Garcinia Pure: this is simply 100% natural Garcinia Cambogia extract and nothing more at a good price.
The most impressive feature about this product is the dosage: each vegetarian capsule gives a 1000mg serving of garcinia extract, which should be taken three times per day, giving a daily dosage of 3000mg.
With an HCA of 60%, this product conforms precisely to the best scientific guidelines available relating to strength and dosage. It is free from caffeine and other stimulants, so can be taken by those suffering from caffeine intolerance.
What do need to know before buying Garcinia Cambogia extract? – Our no-nonsense buyers guide
A Google search for ‘Garcinia Cambogia Extract’ produces over a million hits, which leaves would-be dieters with a gargantuan problem: precisely what should they be searching for in a garcinia supplement? The best advice is to follow our checklist below –
- Check out the manufacturer/supplier Look at the official website to see where the supplement has been produced. Avoid purchasing products manufactured in countries such as China, where reports suggest that inferior ingredients may be used; if the website provides no details of where and by whom the product was manufactured, don’t buy it.
- Make sure that you are paying only for what you order. Look at the small print to ensure that the supplier is not operating an autoship programme under which your bank account will be debited at regular intervals for products you did not want. These programmes are very difficult to cancel.
- Check out the company’s guarantees. Some companies offer full refunds to customers who are dissatisfied with their product. Don’t forget to look carefully at the terms and conditions attached to guarantees: does the company offer to refund the cost of the entire order, or only that part of the order which is returned unopened?
- Check the products label. The product’s label should list all ingredients, including quantities. Don’t risk taking a supplement without knowing what is in it and don’t buy a product that doesn’t list ingredients on its label.
- What’s the percentage of HCA? Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA) is the active ingredient which makes Garcinia Cambogia effective in eradicating and blocking fat. The scientific literature suggests that the level of HCA must be at least 50% (preferably 60%) if a product is to be effective. Don’t buy Garcinia Cambogia if the manufacturer fails to publish the percentage of HCA or if the level is below 50%.
- Check the price. The process of extracting garcinia from the peel of the fruit is complex, which makes Garcinia Cambogia supplements quite expensive. Make sure you compare the prices of different products carefully, calculating the daily cost of each according to the recommended dosage.
What is the normal Garcinia Cambogia dosage required to see results?
The recommended dosage for adults is between 500mg and 3000mg of pure Garcinia extract each day. Typically a 1000mg pill is taken 2-3 times a day, 30-60 minutes before food.
The bottom line
The research suggests that Garcinia Cambogia can provide very helpful support to dieters and may assist them to reach their goals by reducing fat and suppressing appetite.
Scientific studies also demonstrate it can lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation and protect the body from oxidation.
Garcinia extract is also completely safe to use. For those determined to shed unwanted pounds, Garcinia Cambogia extract is certainly worth considering.
Our two top choices in order of effectiveness would be Garcinia Cambogia Extra and Garcinia Pure – these are probably the pick of the bunch based on our comprehensive buying guidelines.